Where will AFC Asian Cup table 2023 be held?
The 18th edition of the continental competition will be held from January 12 to February 10 next year. India will be one of the 24 teams in fray. (2011 Getty Images) The Indian men’s football team, along with Asia’s top 23 nations, will compete in the AFC Asian Cup 2023 football tournament in Qatar from January 12 to February 10, 2024. The Asian Football Confederation (AFC) confirmed the dates and venues for the 18th edition of the continental competition on Wednesday.
The AFC Asian Cup 2023 was supposed to be held in China. However, due to COVID-19, China relinquished their hosting rights and Qatar was selected to host the tournament. India, for the first time, have qualified for two successive editions of the AFC Asian Cup. At the last edition in 2019, India narrowly missed out on the knockout rounds.
The Igor Stimac-coached Indian team, ranked 106th in FIFA rankings, qualified for the 2023 AFC Asian Cup by finishing as Group D winners in the third round of the qualifiers. The 30-day event will see 24 teams divided into six groups. The top two teams from each group and the four best third-placed teams from across the six groups will progress to the round of 16.
- The final will be held on February 10.
- The AFC Asian Cup 2023 will be held across eight stadiums – Al Janoub Stadium, Al Bayt Stadium, Ahmed Bin Ali Stadium, Al Thumama Stadium, Education City Stadium, Khalifa International Stadium, Jassim bin Hamad Stadium and Abdullah bin Khalifa Stadium.
- Six of these venues were used during the FIFA World Cup 2022.
The draw for the AFC Asian Cup 2023 will be held on May 11, 2023 in Doha. The 24 competing teams have been divided into six pots of four teams each for the draw. India are placed in Pot 4 alongside Tajikistan, Thailand, Malaysia, Hong Kong, Indonesia. Add these to your favourites Football IND
Which country qualified for AFC 2023?
The qualified teams for the AFC Asian Cup 2023 include Japan, Syria, Qatar, South Korea, Australia, Iran, Saudi Arabia, United Arab Emirates, China, Iraq, Oman, Vietnam, Lebanon, Palestine, Uzbekistan, Thailand, India, Hong Kong, Tajikistan, Kyrgyzstan, Bahrain, Malaysia, Jordan, and Indonesia.
Will India host AFC Asian Cup 2023?
The All India Football Federation’s withdrawal leaves Saudi Arabia as the only country in the race to host the continental football tournament. (Getty Images) The All India Football Federation (AIFF) has officially withdrawn its bid to host the AFC Asian Cup 2027 in India, the AIFF and Asian Football Confederation (AFC) jointly notified on Monday. The AFC Executive Committee had shortlisted bids from the AIFF and the Saudi Arabian Football Federation (SAFF) to host the AFC Asian Cup 2027 during its meeting on October 17, 2022.
- The AFC Congress was set to decide the final host in Manama, Bahrain, in February 2023.
- The AIFF, in a statement, noted that hosting big events doesn’t fit into its new strategic priorities.
- With former footballer Kalyan Chaubey elected as the new AIFF president and Dr Shaji Prabhakaran taking up the role of the Secretary General, the Indian football federation is under a new management.
The regime is drawing up a new roadmap for Indian football, which is set to be revealed later this month. “India has always been a wonderful and efficient host to big tournaments, which was amply demonstrated in the recently concluded FIFA U-17 Women’s World Cup.
- However, the executive committee has decided that the overall strategy of the federation currently remains on focusing on the fundamental goals to strengthen our football at every level from grassroots to youth development,” Kalyan Chaubey said.
- Hosting competitions requires big resources and sometimes encourages the tendency to take the major issues away from our focus.
Right now, our focus should be to take Indian football forward together,” Dr Shaji Prabhakaran further explained. Following the withdrawal of India’s bid, Saudi Arabia’s bid to host the 19th edition of the AFC Asian Cup in 2027 will now be the only one presented to the AFC Congress for consideration. IND
Who will host Asia Cup 2023 schedule?
2023 Asia Cup
|Dates||30 August – 17 September 2023|
|Administrator(s)||Asian Cricket Council|
|Cricket format||One Day International|
|Tournament format(s)||Group stage and final|
|Host(s)||Pakistan Sri Lanka|
How many AFC Cup India won?
The history of the India national football team dates back to the 1920s. They have never played in the World Cup although they qualified in 1950, They have had no entries in the tournament from 1950 onwards. India has never won the final of the Asian Championship but made it to the final in the 1964 AFC Asian Cup, They have only made three appearances since then.
Who is hosting the Asia Cup 2024?
2024 AFC U-23 Asian Cup
|كأس آسيا تحت 23 سنة 2024|
|Dates||15 April – 3 May 2024|
|Teams||16 (from 1 confederation)|
How many teams qualify for AFC 2023?
AFC Asian Cup 2023 Draw: India in Pot 4, live streaming details, and more The 2023 draw is set to take place on May 11, 2023, at the Opera House in Doha,, The draw will determine the groupings for the tournament, which is scheduled to run from January 12 to February 10, 2024.
- India has secured a place in the upcoming AFC Asian Cup tournament and has been grouped in Pot 4 alongside Tajikistan, Thailand, Malaysia, Hong Kong, and Indonesia, who are making their debut in the tournament.The 24 qualified teams will be divided into six groups of four teams each across to F.
- The draw will start with host and defending champion Qatar, who will be drawn into Group A from Pot 1.
The rest of the teams will be drawn arbitrarily into all the groups (A-F). India is placed in Pot 4, and the draw will determine which group the will compete in. The other pots are as follows: Pot 1 includes Qatar (Host), Japan, IR Iran, Korea Republic, Australia, and Saudi Arabia.
Pot 2 includes Iraq, UAE, Oman, Uzbekistan, China, and Jordan. Pot 3 includes Bahrain, Syria, Palestine, Vietnam, Kyrgyz Republic and Lebanon. Pot 4 includes India, Tajikistan, Thailand, Malaysia, Hong Kong, and Indonesia.The top two teams from each group and four best third-placed teams will advance to the final 16 of the competition.
The tournament will crown the Asian champion on February 10, 2024.India has qualified for the AFC Asian Cup for the fifth time, having previously participated in the competition in 1964, 1984, 2011, and 2019. The best finish of the Blue Tigers in has been a runners-up place in the competition’s 1964 edition.India’s head coach Igor Stimac expressed his anticipation for the draw and emphasized the importance of using the time to prepare well for the tournament rather than focusing on opponents.
He believes in the team and the work they put in and hopes to achieve their goals with the support of the Indian fan base in Qatar.The AFC Asian Cup 2023 draw will be live-streamed on the tournament’s YouTube channel from 4:30 pm on May 11, 2023. Fans can tune in to watch the draw and find out which group India will be placed in for the competition.
Where is the AFC Asian Cup 2023 draw being held? The draw is being held at the Katara Opera House in Doha, Qatar. How many teams have qualified for the AFC Asian Cup 2023? 24 teams have qualified for the tournament. Disclaimer Statement: This content is authored by a 3rd party.
The views expressed here are that of the respective authors/ entities and do not represent the views of Economic Times (ET). ET does not guarantee, vouch for or endorse any of its contents nor is responsible for them in any manner whatsoever. Please take all steps necessary to ascertain that any information and content provided is correct, updated, and verified.
ET hereby disclaims any and all warranties, express or implied, relating to the report and any content therein. (Catch all the, Events and Updates on,) Download to get Daily Market Updates & Live Business News. : AFC Asian Cup 2023 Draw: India in Pot 4, live streaming details, and more
Is India out of Asia Cup?
Babar Azam’s Pakistan qualified for the Asia Cup 2022 final after it knocked out India and Afghanistan on Wednesday. Babar Azam’s Pakistan qualified for the Asia Cup 2022 final after it knocked out India and Afghanistan on Wednesday. India has been eliminated from the Asia Cup 2022 final race by Pakistan after it beat Afghanistan by one-wicket in a Super Four match in Sharjah on Wednesday.
- The win also confirmed Pakistan and Sri Lanka as the finalists of the tournament, with India and Afghanistan losing both the matches they have played in the Super Four.
- Rohit Sharma’s men suffered back-to-back defeats – a five-wicket loss to Pakistan and a six-wicket defeat to Sri Lanka – to put themselves in a spot of danger where other results would have had to work in their favour.
This is India’s first defeat in the Asia Cup since the 2014 edition. It had won the inaugural Asia Cup T20 tournament in 2016 under MS Dhoni in Bangladesh and backed it up with another title in 2018 in the UAE under Rohit Sharma without losing a match.
Can India qualify for AFC?
This will be India’s fifth appearance in the AFC Asian Cup, with the Blue Tigers having participated at the continental level in 1964, 1984, 2011, and 2019 previously. – Published : May 11, 2023 17:04 IST, Chennai – 3 MINS READ File Photo: Indian football coach Igor Stimac having words with players during a practice session on the eve of Tri-Nation International football tournament in Imphal, Manipur on Tuesday, 21 March 2023. Indian will play against Myanmar on 22 March 2023. | Photo Credit: RITU RAJ KONWAR / The Hindu File Photo: Indian football coach Igor Stimac having words with players during a practice session on the eve of Tri-Nation International football tournament in Imphal, Manipur on Tuesday, 21 March 2023. Indian will play against Myanmar on 22 March 2023.
- | Photo Credit: RITU RAJ KONWAR / The Hindu India was drawn in group B in the AFC Asian Cup 2023 at the Katara Opera House in Doha on Thursday.
- It got the fourth spot (B4) in the group.
- Australia, Syria and Uzbekistan are the other teams drawn in that group.
- India qualified in two consecutive editions of the tournament for the first time in its history and its groupings will be finalised on Thursday.
After the Philippines lost to Palestine, India secured its qualification even before its last qualifying game against Hong Kong. But the Blue Tigers completes the campaign, winning all the games. “The last time the AFC Asian Cup was played in Qatar was 12 years ago, and there has been great progress since then.
- We have also initiated key enhancements.
- There are 24 teams in the AFC Asian Cup now, a new trophy, and $15 million in prize money,” Shaikh Salman bin Ebrahim Al Khalifa, the president of the Asian Football Confederation (AFC) said before the draw.
- The impact is clear to see.
- On behalf of the Asian football family, I would like to express our gratitude to the QFA and the LOC, and we also thank the 24 participating nations.
The stage is now set for a truly memorable chapter in the history of the tournament. We wish all the teams the very best,” he added. The 24 teams from four pots were draw into six groups of four teams each. | Photo Credit: REUTERS The 24 teams from four pots were draw into six groups of four teams each. | Photo Credit: REUTERS This will be India’s fifth appearance in the AFC Asian Cup, with the Blue Tigers having participated at the continental level in 1964, 1984, 2011, and 2019 previously.
- Their best finish in Asia has been a runners-up place in the 1964 edition of the competition.
- It’s tough.
- Much tougher than it was for India four years ago, in the Asian Cup 2019, but we’re gonna be there and do our best to give them a good fight,” Igor Stimac, India’s head coach said after the draw.
“It’s about time to prepare well. And be the strongest possible squad that we can be in January.” International referee Yoshimi Yamashita, former footballers Tim Cahill, Hassan Al Haydos, Park Ji-sung, Server Djeparov, Sun Wen and India’s women’s under-17 team head coach Maymol Rocky were present at the draw.
|Group A||Group B||Group C||Group D||Group E||Group F|
|Tajikistan||Syria||Hong Kong||Iraq||Jordan||Kyrgyz Republic|
Asia has come a long way, in terms of football. We played Uzbekistan before and year, we are looking to play against them here,” Graham Arnold, Australia’s head coach said after the draw. The Soccerroos have spent substantial amount of time in Qatar, even before the FIFA World Cup, and confirmed its spot in the tournament with a penalty-shootout win over Peru in the Inter-continental playoff.
Will India go to Pakistan to play Asia Cup 2023?
Asia Cup 2023: BCCI’s Arun Dhumal reveals venue for marquee India-Pakistan clash With just around the corner, fans are eagerly waiting for the blockbuster clash between India and Pakistan. The two teams will face off against each other two times in the Asia Cup before meeting again on October 15 for the ODI World Cup match at the stadium, Ahmedabad.
- IPL Chairman Arun Dhumal has informed that the schedule for the Asia Cup 2023 tournament has been finalized after a meeting between BCCI Secretary Jay Shah and PCB Chief Zaka Ashraf ahead of the ICC Board meeting scheduled on Thursday.
- Dhumal also confirmed that the Indian team will not visit Pakistan for any of the Asia Cup matches.
“Our secretary met PCB head Zaka Ashraf and the Asia Cup schedule was finalised and it is on course as it was discussed earlier. There will be four games of league stage in Pakistan, followed by 9 games in Sri Lanka including both India versus Pakistan game and in case a third game if both teams play final,” Dhumal told news agency PTI,
There was no such discussion held. Neither India is travelling to Pakistan nor our secretary will be travelling contrary to reports that have surfaced. Only the schedule was finalised,” the IPL chairman added. In a recent interview with the Indian Express, Pakistan Sports Minister Ehsaan Mazari had claimed that if India insists on playing their Asia Cup matches at a neutral venue, Pakistan will demand the same for their World Cup matches in India.
Similar to the 2010 Asia Cup, the 2023 version of the tournament is expected to feature Pakistan in Dambulla, Sri Lanka. Meanwhile, Pakistan will play their only home match against Nepal and the other three matches to be played in the country will be between Afghanistan-Bangladesh, Bangladesh-Sri Lanka and Sri Lanka-Afghanistan.
- Asia Cup 2023 will be held in a, with 4 matches played in Pakistan and the remaining matches in Sri Lanka.
- The tournament was earlier scheduled to be held in Pakistan, but the venue was changed after the BCCI refused to send the Indian team to Pakistan.
- With inputs from PTI) Catch all the and Updates on Live Mint.
Download The to get Daily &, Updated: 12 Jul 2023, 11:15 AM IST : Asia Cup 2023: BCCI’s Arun Dhumal reveals venue for marquee India-Pakistan clash
How many countries are in Asia Cup 2023?
Frequently Asked Questions – 1. Which Country is going to host the Asia Cup 2023? Two countries Pakistan and Sri Lanka are going to host the Asia Cup 2023. This is the first time Asia Cup will be held on a hybrid model.2. How many teams will participate in the Asia Cup 2023? A total of six teams will play the Asia Cup 2023, which includes India, Pakistan, Sri Lanka, Bangladesh, Nepal, and Afghanistan.3.
- Which is the most successful team in the Asia Cup tournament? Till now India is the most successful team in the Asia Cup tournament with seven titles to their name.4.
- This time Asia Cup 2023 will be of 20 overs or 50 overs? This time Asia Cup 2023 will be played as One Day Internationals (ODIs) or you can say 50-over ODI tournament.5.
Who are the defending champions of the Asia Cup? Sri Lanka won the 2022 Asia Cup and is the defending champions of the Asia Cup.
What is hybrid model in cricket?
ACC accepts Pakistan’s hybrid-model solution for Asia Cup, India to play matches in Sri Lanka
- The stalemate over the hosting of Asia Cup 2023 — a six-nation tournament among Asian countries — ended on Thursday with the Asian Cricket Council (ACC) accepted Pakistan’s proposal and announced that the matches will be held in Pakistan and Sri Lanka on the basis of a hybrid model.
- The hybrid-model solution was by official Asia Cup host Pakistan after the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) last year to tour the neighbouring country to play the tournament.
- Owing to soured political relations, India and Pakistan have not met on either side’s soil in any version of the game since 2012, and only play each other in international tournaments on neutral grounds.
- Under the hybrid model, the Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) suggested that Asia Cup matches involving India could be played at in Sri Lanka, a neutral venue.
- Pakistan had also to boycott the World Cup in India in October-November should they be forced to stage the entire Asia Cup in another country.
- Last month, ACC President and BCCI Secretary Jay Shah had that the fate of this year’s Asia Cup would be decided on the sidelines of then-under way Indian Premier League, with cricket chiefs from Sri Lanka, Bangladesh and Afghanistan attending the IPL final in India’s Ahmedabad and holding a discussion on the matter.
- Eventually, the ACC said in a today, “We are delighted to announce that the Asia Cup 2023 will be held from August 31 to September 17, 2023 and will see the elite teams from India, Pakistan, Sri Lanka, Bangladesh, Afghanistan, and Nepal, compete in a total of 13 exciting ODI (One-Day International) matches.
- “The tournament will be hosted in a hybrid model with four matches being held in Pakistan, and the remaining nine matches being played in Sri Lanka.”
- According to a PCB, India will not be playing any of its matches in Pakistan.
“Our passionate fans would have loved to see the India cricket team in action in Pakistan for the first time in 15 years, but we understand the BCCI’s position. Like the PCB, the BCCI also requires government approval and clearance before crossing borders,” the statement quoted PCB Management Committee Chair Najam Sethi as saying.
The statement said hosting Asia Cup in the coming months “will be the first time since 2008 that matches of a multi-nation cricket tournament will be staged in Pakistan”. Fifteen years ago, Pakistan had successfully delivered the six-team ACC Asia Cup 50-over tournament, it added. According to the statement, Sethi thanked the ACC for accepting the hybrid-model proposal, saying: “I am elated that our hybrid version for the ACC Asia Cup 2023 has been accepted.
This means the PCB will remain as the event host and stage matches in Pakistan with Sri Lanka as the neutral venue, which was required due to the Indian cricket team’s inability to travel to Pakistan.”
- He added that in the given scenario, the hybrid model was the “best solution and that’s precisely why I advocated for it so strongly”.
- “The acceptance of the hybrid model means the event will take place as originally planned, the ACC will stay together and united, and the great game of cricket will continue to thrive and move forward in what will be interesting and exciting times for the subcontinent cricket fans in the coming 20 months,” he added.
- He went on to say that in the past 15 months, the PCB had delivered high-profile bilateral series as well as two immensely successful HBL Pakistan Super League events in which some of the world’s leading cricketers participated and “enjoyed Pakistan’s outstanding arrangements and unprecedented hospitality”.
- “We look forward to providing a similar experience to the participating sides in the ACC Asia Cup, which will be a prelude to the ICC Champions Trophy in Pakistan in February/March 2025.
- “I now look forward to continuing our discussions and deliberations with the ACC and Sri Lanka Cricket to iron out a few minor operational and logistical details so that we can launch our event planning and preparations,” Sethi said.
- He also assured that the PCB, as the event’s host, “will not leave any stone unturned in the successful delivery of the event that is so very critical to the sides featuring in the ICC Men’s Cricket World Cup 2023 in October/November in India”.
- “I appreciate the efforts of ACC President Jay Shah to strengthen the council so that we can collectively continue to protect each other’s interests and also provide opportunities and platforms to emerging Asian nations,” he added.
: ACC accepts Pakistan’s hybrid-model solution for Asia Cup, India to play matches in Sri Lanka
Which team won most Asia Cup football?
Japan is the most successful team at the tournament, winning it four times.
Which is the biggest football tournament in India?
|Football in India|
|Salt Lake Stadium in Kolkata, West Bengal|
|Governing body||All India Football Federation (AIFF) (formed in 1937, joined FIFA in 1948)|
|National team(s)||Men Women|
|Nickname(s)||The Blue Tigers|
|Senior Men’s National Football Championship Senior Women’s National Football Championship U20 National Football Championship Junior Boy’s National Football Championship Sub-Junior Boy’s National Football championship Junior Girl’s National Football Championship Sub–Junior Girl’s National Football Championship National Beach Soccer Championship National Games of India Khelo India University Games Khelo India Youth Games|
|Single match||131,781 ( 1997 Federation Cup Semifinal: East Bengal F.C. VS Mohun Bagan A.C. at Salt Lake Stadium, 1997)|
Football in India is among the three most popular sports in terms of player participation and TV viewership, together with cricket and kabaddi, India’s top domestic competition is the Indian Super League, formed with eight teams in 2014, recognised by the AFC as the national football league.
- The Santosh Trophy is a knock-out competition between Indian states and government institutions.
- The Under-17 World Cup was hosted by India in 2017, the first FIFA event the country hosted.
- It was touted as the most successful FIFA U-17 World Cup ever, with the attendance, a record 1,347,133, surpassing China’s 1,230,976 in 1985.
India also hosted the 2022 FIFA U-17 Women’s World Cup and bid to host the 2019 FIFA U-20 World Cup, but lost to Poland, The Indian national football team qualified for the 1950 FIFA World Cup but did not participate.
Which Indian football club has won most trophies?
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
|Indian Football League (1st tier)|
|National Football League (1996–2007) I-League (2007–2017) I-League & Indian Super League (2017–2022) Indian Super League (2022–present)|
|Number of teams|
|12 ( 2023–24 )|
|Most successful club|
|Mohun Bagan (6 titles)|
Fatorda Stadium, home of five-time champions Dempo, The Indian football champions are the winners of the highest league in Indian men’s football, which is now Indian Super League, Though Indian football tournaments dates back to the eighteenth century, a proper league system was established in 1996 with the commencement of National Football League (NFL).
- Since its inception in the 1996–97 season, the champions of the NFL were considered as the national champions.
- However, after the 2006–07 season of the NFL, the league was rebranded as the I-League,
- Since 2007–08 season, the I-League champions were considered the national champions until 2016–17 season.
Since 2017–18 season the ISL became the joint premier football league of the country along with I-League upto 2021–22 season, Since 2022–23 season ISL became the only top tier football league of the country and hence ISL champions are considered as the national champions.
- However, the winners of the ISL play-offs are considered as the ISL champions since its inception in 2014,
- There are 12 clubs who have won either the National Football League or the I-League and 6 clubs who have won the Indian Super League since the league became the joint top division in India.
- JCT were the first club to have won any championship, winning the 1996–97 NFL,
Mohun Bagan are the most successful club via winning championships six times. Mohun Bagan won the NFL thrice, I-League twice and ISL once. Also, Mohun Bagan are the only club who has won all of the NFL, I-League and the ISL at least once.
What stadiums are being built for Asia Cup 2023?
Asia Cup Cricket Schedule 2023 FAQs – Has Asia Cup Cricket Schedule 2023 been released? Yes, the council of Asia Cup 2023 has released the schedule of Asia Cup Cricket 2023 on its website. When will Asia Cup 2023 be Started? As per the latest, Asia Cup 2023 will be played between 2nd September 2023 and 16th September 2023.
Will Asia Cup be held every year?
All about Asia Cup – The Asia Cup is a unique tournament that focuses solely on countries from a single continent, making it the only one of its kind in the world. In terms of performance, India has been the most successful team in Asia Cup history, having won the tournament on seven occasions.
Additionally, India has reached the final stage a remarkable ten times out of a total of fifteen finals (although they skipped participation in one edition). Following closely behind India is Sri Lanka, with six Asia Cup victories, while Pakistan has emerged as champions twice. Initially, the competition involved three countries, but over time it expanded to include six teams: India, Pakistan, Sri Lanka, Bangladesh, Hong Kong, and Afghanistan.
Find More Sports News Here